Wedding Season is officially upon us and there are a lot of questions about what not to wear to wedding events. I don’t know about you guys, but between Maria and I, we have anywhere from 2-4 wedding related events each month! I love everything about being a guest at a wedding- you get to watch two (usually pretty awesome) people make a really lovely commitment to one another. *swoon* Then you get to eat a free meal (and btw it’s free for you and usually way more expensive than it should be for the bride and groom, so stop going to weddings and complaining about the food would ya?!)… Haha okay anyways, then you get to drink and dance the night away with family and friends, heck sometimes there’s even an after party!
There are really only a couple of things you have to worry about as a guest, remembering the gift (or money), being on time (meaning early), and dressing appropriately. Choosing a dress for a wedding can be daunting, so here are my 5 easy tips on what not to wear in order to avoid ruining your friends’ best day ever!
What Not to Wear: How to Dress Appropriately!
- Please for the love of God don’t wear white. Like to any wedding related event. Ever. This includes engagement parties, showers, bachelorette parties, rehearsal dinner- you get the picture. There should only be one lady in white at these events!
- Check the invite or wedding website for attire/dress code. This will ensure that you don’t miss the memo that the wedding is a black tie affair! When in doubt, it is MUCH better to be overdressed than underdressed.
- Try not to match the bridal party- if you don’t know, ask!
- No sexy dresses please. Yes, sadly it’s time to put that skin tight body-con dress to rest (maybe even, like, forever?) This is also not the time to wear your dangerously low cut birthday dress and push-up bra.
- Try to avoid flashy dresses (think head to toe mermaid sequins). This includes extremely bold prints or bright neon colors. Don’t worry, you still have 364 other days that you can be the center of attention.
Rent the Runway- Look fabulous for less!
There ya have it, five rules to follow while you head into the year’s official wedding season! Don’t have a dress that fits the criteria? Don’t have $100+ bucks to spend on a new frock you’ll likely only wear once? Then I URGE you to check out Rent the Runway! You can rent gorgeous designer dresses, shipped straight to you in a garment bag before your event. Afterwards, you don’t even have to worry about dry cleaning, you just send it back with the prepaid shipping label and you’re all set!
Maria and I have teamed up with RTR this wedding season to make sure we are dressed to the nines- hassle free! This lovely flutter sleeve dress was perfect for my first bridal shower this season. It fit perfectly (although I did order a backup size as well just in case!) and I think is my new favorite color. Would you believe this rents for only $65 even though it retails for over $400?! I added this braided belt to give it a more daytime vibe, but you could easily play this up for evening or a bachelorette party!
I also chose this See by Chloe cross body to accessorize my look. Normally, I would probably have picked a clutch or handbag, but the shower was a little more casual so this definitely fit the event better. PS this bag retails for $450! But you can rent it here!
Well guys if I haven’t convinced you yet to try out Rent the Runway, then just wait until you see what other beautiful things Maria and I have in store this wedding season thanks to RTR! Don’t forget to check out their site!