Happy Tuesday! I asked a couple weeks ago if you ladies wanted to hear more about my routine for moisturizing and exfoliating my dry skin during the winter and 88% of you voted yes! Before I dive into my routine, I want everyone to know that this is what works for me and by no way am I skin expert. I have combination skin and finally after years of trying so many products, I am starting to get into a great routine and happier with my skin.
Back in November, I posted all about some of my favorite beauty products and one of the things I had talked about was how I started the Korean Skincare ten step beauty routine. You can check out my beauty gift guide here, but below I have also included the steps again.
Korean Skin Care Ten Step Beauty Routine:
**Before I start I usually use a makeup wipe to get a good majority of my makeup off.
- Oil Cleanser– The first time I ever used oil on my skin prior to this I thought I already have oily skin how will this ever work, but I have used Rose Hip Oil, Maracuja oil, Tea Tree oil and Aragon oil and have nothing but great results. I still thought it was kind of odd to use oil to get my makeup on, but boy was I wrong this immediately cuts through all the grime on your face and easily removes your makeup.
- Water Based Cleanser– This helps to get rid of any remaining residue that your oil cleanser didn’t get rid of.
- Exfoliator– Everything that I read said you should exfoliate twice a week, but since I am using a Retinol (read more about it below) I can’t exfoliate that often, so I maybe do this part once a week or every other week.
- Toner– Even before starting this routine I have heard from makeup artists, dermatologists, estheticians, beauty bloggers that toners are an essential part of your skincare routine that you should not skip.
- Essence- This helps with renewing your skin and cell turnover, make sure to pat dry before you move onto the next step.
- Treatments– I typically use a serum at this stage!
- Sheet Masks– There are an endless amount of sheet masks on the market and so many you can find for so cheap! You can do this step every day or once a week! I tend to do this once a week when I have a little more time since it adds about 15-20 minutes to your ten step routine.
- Eye Cream- As I approach 30 I realize now more than ever how important it is to have eye cream in my daily routine!
- Moisturizer– The key to glowing skin is to always keep it hydrated! Don’t forget about your neck too!
- Sunscreen- Elta MD is my favorite Sunscreen and great for acne-prone skin. Apply every single morning, do not skip! I think this is one of the most important parts of the routine. I had pictures of my skin taken at the dermatologist at 95% of my skin was full of UV rays. For my entire life even when I was a little kid I did NOT let my face get a tan, I always wore a hat to protect it from the sun and always wore sunscreen but that was only when I was laying out or in the sun for long periods of time. So I was shocked when I got these results back, but you don’t think about the every day wear your skin endures from the sun, or driving when the sun is hitting your face. I can’t wait to go back to the dermatologist and see the progress my skin has made!
Wow! I know that’s a lot to take in and a lot of steps, but I promise once you do it for a week it becomes so routine. My skin definitely appreciates all my hard work! You can find great recommendations for products just by googling or visiting Soko Glam, this site really breaks down the routine and what products to by!
My Winter Skincare Routine
As I had mentioned before, I have experimented with a lot of different moisturizers over the years and within the last couple of months for me I have finally found two products that are working really well. Philosophy is a brand, that I have used for years. A little of the moisturizer goes a long way, I make sure to apply not only to make face, but my neck and chest as well. As I am getting older, I am learning the importance of making sure that I don’t forget about other areas on my body.
Do you shop at Sephora? One of my favorite things about shopping there are all the little sample products that I have received. I tend to always choose anything for my face. I don’t like to spend a lot of money upfront, without knowing that I am actually going to like the products. Some have made my face too slimy or have really made me breakout.
Fresh: About a year ago I chose a Fresh rose sample and I loved the smell and how soft my face felt. So I continued to research products with rose oil. When I was shopping on Amazon I stumbled upon this rose hip oil and I am in LOVE! This not only helps by bringing more moisture back to my skin, but I have uneven pigmentation that this has helped with. Its yellow in color, so a little weird at first and you have to be careful to not over use.
**I do not do all of these exfoliating steps at one time, but these are the products and tools that I have at my disposal that have worked for me!
When my friend Amy introduced me into the whole Korean Beauty routine, this was one of her most raved about products. You literally see dead skin rolling off your face. You will instantly notice how smooth and bright your skin is after! I have also used this for parts of my feet and hands that are really dry and immediately put lotion on after, it’s helped to get rid of a lot of my dead skin.
I use this at home Microdermabrasian tool probably once a month and immediately follow with a moisturizer. When I wake up in the morning, my skin feels like a babies bottom! I make sure just like anytime I go get a facial, chemical peel or laser to stop using my retinol a couple days prior. This helps to remove dead and damaged skin cells, acne scarring, age spots and reduce fine lines. Be aware it will leave your skin red after, so I typically do this before bed.
White Marble Dual Phase Vitamin C Peel. I received this product to test from a company called Influenster. This is a great site to visit when wanting honest reviews on products! You can find new products, read honest reviews and watch tutorials. This feels so good and I could tell a difference in my skin after the first use! My skin feels so smooth and much brighter after use, I am really happy with the outcome and quality of this product.
Here’s a little backstory into why I shave my face. I am Greek and Italian, I have a lot of hair all over! When I was just starting high school I noticed hair on my face. I remember my mom sitting my sister in the bathroom plucking her eyebrows and my sister screaming because it hurt so bad haha. Fast Forward a couple years and I was the sister in the bathroom getting a lesson on how to take my mustache off. Yes, for any men reading this women too have facial hair! About every couple of weeks I was applying my handy dandy nair and removing my “peach fuzz” on my upper lip. Onto the college years and I was removing my mustache, two of my roommates walked in and asked me what I was doing? I convinced them they too needed to remove their mustache. They were SHOCKED by how much hair actually came off onto the cotton ball. Years later when I was 27 I noticed that I had more hair on my face, especially those little chin hairs and I thought OMG I am turning into my mom and yiayia I am going to have to pluck my chin hair! After lots of research I came across some articles about Kate Sommerville and her celebrity clients that shave their face. I thought why not, what’s the worst that can happen and now I’m hooked. I also have some friends and my sister who use the razors now! These tinkle razors from Amazon are so inexpensive!
- If you have active acne wait till it clears up, so you don’t spread the bacteria to other areas of your face.
- It will not grow back darker or thicker, but once you start you will have to keep up your routine
- It’s a less expensive version of Dermaplaining.
- Moisturize right after!
- If you have really sensitive skin, be careful of the products you use after.
- I notice that my makeup, goes on much smoother after I shave my face.
- NEVER under any circumstances use a razor that you use for your body on your face. You will spread bacteria.
- This is a dry shave, no need to use any products on your face before. I typically shave right after I get out of the shower.
Plus I just ordered these products for my body! My legs have been so dry no matter how much I moisturize and I have read great reviews about this brand!