Happy Holidays! Yesterday I spent the day with my sister, niece (Addy) and nephew (Alex). We went to the Winterwonder Fest at Navy Pier! Addy is almost 3 and Alex is 17 months. There were some good things for Addy to do and it was nice to be inside, but there wasn’t a lot to do for the little ones. If Addy were a year or two older and a little taller she would have been able to go on all the rides and participate in all the activities.
My post today is all about fun things to do in Chicago during the Holidays! Even though the weather is a bit frightful, there are so many wonderful things to do to get you in the Holiday Spirit!
What to do in Chicago around the Holidays:
- Navy Pier Winterwonder Fest– Great for kids of all ages, but I think its best for kids 4 years and older! Also go during the week if you can, I imagine it will be crazy crowded on the weekend!
- Chriskindlmarket– An open air German Market. You can stuff your face with delicious authentic German food and beer. Of course if you have a sweet tooth like me and need to warm up, treat yourself to a hot chocolate in a boot! There are multiple locations this year!
- Macy’s on State Street– There are a couple things you can do here: Start outside to look at the beautiful windows they have on display! After checking out the windows, if you are with kids head up to Santaland. This was a tradition in our family when we were kids and now that my sister has children we started this year seeing Santa at Macy’s! Tip: Try to get in line right when the store opens, the line can get really long! After your kids screamed and cried or enjoyed seeing santa head down the Walnut Room.
- Zoo Lights– Lincoln Park Zoo lights which is located just North of downtown is free and great for the family. If you don’t want to go when a ton of kiddos are running around, they also have adult nights!
- Music Box– One of the best places to go watch some of your favorite Christmas Movies!
- Ice Skating- Maggie Daley Skating Ribbon or Millenium Park. The Ribbon is much bigger than the rink at Millenium Park! While you are there check out the City of Chicago Christmas Tree at Millenium Park.
- Christmas Around the World– Located at the Museum of Science and Industry. There are over 50 trees to celebrate different cultures and customs!
- CTA Holiday Train– The L trains transform and are decked out with lights, music and Santa on a sleigh! check out the schedule to see when the train will be near you!
- Polar Express – This was my all time favorite book to read during the holidays as a kid! I was ecstatic when I saw that there was going to be a ride leaving from Union Station! The ride isn’t an hour long and takes you around the Chicago neighborhoods.Santa and his helpers help you board the train and it’s just like the movie on board! I have yet to experience this yet but I want to take my niece and nephew next year!
- Tea-Celebrate the holidays with Tea At The Langham (pictured below), The Drake or The Peninsula.
Now that you have read my list of my favorite things to do around the holidays in Chicago, share with us your favorite! I want to know what city you are from and what traditions you have! This way if I am ever in your city around the holidays I get to experience all the beautiful holiday magic!